Equinor Gets Nod for Gabriel Prospect Drilling

March 10, 2020

West Hercules drilling rig - Image by Ole Jørgen Bratland / Equinor
West Hercules drilling rig - Image by Ole Jørgen Bratland / Equinor

Equinor Energy has received approval from the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate to drill a wildcat well in the North Sea, offshore Norway.

The company will use the West Hercules semi-submersible drilling rig to drill the Gabriel prospect exploration well formally named well 35/10-5. 

The well is located in the production license 827 S. Equinor operates the offshore block with a 70% stake, with DNO holding the remaining 30 percent.

Production license 827 S was awarded on 5 February 2016 (APA 2015). This is the first well to be drilled in the license. Water depth at the site is 367 meters. The well will be drilled about 11 kilometers southwest of the Vega field.

Equinor in November 2019 received regulatory approval from the Petroleum Safety Authority Norway for the same well. 

As for the drilling rig, it is owned by Seadrill. Equinor has recently used it to drill a well in the North Sea, aimed to determine the suitability of the reservoir in the Johansen formation for CO₂ storage, as part of the Northern Lights project.

The preliminary results from the well have been positive.



Current News

Tullow Says 58 Workers Test Positive for COVID-19 Offshore Ghana

Tullow Says 58 Workers Test Positive for COVID-19 Offshore Ghana

Turkey May Begin Drilling Under Libya Deal in 3-4 Months

Turkey May Begin Drilling Under Libya Deal in 3-4 Months

Norway Earmarks $369M for Green Industry Investments

Norway Earmarks $369M for Green Industry Investments

Oil Drops but Still Set for Biggest Monthly Gain in Years

Oil Drops but Still Set for Biggest Monthly Gain in Years

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

Offshore Engineer Magazine