Join OEdigital on Facebook Join OEdigital on LinkedIn Join OEdigital on Twitter

Aker BP in Frigg Gamma Delta hit, miss

Tuesday, 03 October 2017 13:01

Aker BP has encountered further oil at the Frigg Gamma Delta discovery offshore Norway, but came up dry at an adjacent wildcat, according to the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate (NPD).

Frigg Gamma Delta. Map from NPD.

Aker BP completed the drilling of appraisal well 25/2-19 S, and wildcat well 25/2-19 A with the Maersk Interceptor ultra harsh environment jackup. Both wells are in production license 442 in the central North Sea, some 12km northeast of the Frøy field and 200km northwest of Stavanger.

The appraisal well encountered an oil column of 13.5m in sandstone with good reservoir quality, after drilling to vertical and measured depths of 2212m and 2325m below the sea surface, respectively. The oil/water contact was encountered near 1950m below the sea surface. The well was terminated in the Sele formation from the Palaeocene Age.

The objective of well 25/2-19 S was to delineate the oil discovery in the Delta structure towards the north and examine the mobility of the oil in the Frigg formation, according to the NPD.

Aker BP is currently analyzing data to confirm the resource estimate. Prior to drilling the appraisal well, Frigg Gamma Delta’s (well 25/2-10 S) was approximately 10 MMcum of recoverable oil, and 2 Bcm of recoverable gas.

The nearby wildcat well 25/2-19 A, has been classified as dry. The well’s primary and secondary exploration targets were to prove petroleum in Middle Jurassic reservoir rocks (Hugin and Sleipner formations). It was drilled to vertical and measured depths of 3989 and 4155m below the sea surface, respectively. The well was terminated in the Sleipner formation. Water depth at the site is 120m.

In the Hugin and Sleipner formations, multiple sandstone layers were encountered at a total of about 50-60m in each of the formations with reservoir quality varying from poor to good; in addition to traces of petroleum in some of the sandstone layers in the Sleipner formation.

The wells, which mark the sixth and seventh exploration wells in PL 442, have been permanently plugged and abandoned.

Aker BP is the operator of PL 442 with 90.26% stake. Partner Lotos E&P Norge holds the remaining 9.74%.

The Maersk Interceptor will now proceed to drill development wells on the Aker BP-operated Tambar field.

At the beginning of the year, the Tambar license approved a development project that will add two production wells to the field, plus modify facilities to provide gas lift from Ula field to new and existing Tambar wells. Drilling will also test the oil-water contact in the northern part of the field, and consequently contribute to increased understanding of the Tambar reservoir.

Read more:

Aker BP targets PDO trio this year

Read 10010 times
2018-10-22 02:02:46am