Join OEdigital on Facebook Join OEdigital on LinkedIn Join OEdigital on Twitter

Wellesley in Goanna upset

Written by  OE Staff Tuesday, 12 September 2017 10:30

Wellesley Petroleum’s Goanna prospect offshore Norway has revealed disappointing results, as no hydrocarbons were found, according to partner Faroe Petroleum.

Image from iStock.

The Goanna well (33/9-22 S) was drilled to a total depth of 2730m where the well encountered approximately 49m of gross water bearing reservoir in the primary target, the Upper Jurassic Munin Formation sandstones.  

The Goanna wildcat is now being plugged and abandoned as planned.  

“While we are disappointed that no hydrocarbons were present in the Goanna prospect, the well provides important new data and information which will allow further evaluation of this new area for Faroe, and in addition the company’s associated drilling costs have been fully covered,” says Graham Stewart, chief executive of Faroe Petroleum. “Our exploration program continues with the Iris/Hades (Aerosmith) exploration well and Fogelberg appraisal well scheduled for the end of the year and the beginning of 2018, taking advantage of low drilling costs and Norwegian tax incentives.”

The well, drilled with the Deepsea Bergen semisubmersible drilling rig, was spudded in late-August.Goanna is operated by Wellesley Petroleum with 70% stake. Faroe holds the remaining 30%.

Read more:

Wellesley spuds Goanna well off Norway

Read 3974 times
2018-08-21 04:21:41am