BG adds to Tanzanian gas finds

July 3, 2013

BG Group has made a gas discovery in the Ngisi-1 well in Block 4 offshore Tanzania.

The Ngisi-1 well, drilled by the Deepsea Metro 1 drillship, was also used to appraise the Chewa gas field, resulting in an upgrade in estimated recoverable resources in the block.

Ophir Energy, 40% owner in Block 4, with BG holding the other 60%, said recoverable resource across the Chewa-Pweza-Ngisi hub was now 4.5TCF, up from 3.7TCF.

The Deepsea Metro I has now moved to drill the Mkizi-1 exploration well, in Block 1, also operated by BG.

Ophir said Mkizi is a 0.6 TCF prospect of Tertiary age, close to the Jodari discovery. After Mkizi, appraisal of the Block 4 Pweza discovery is planned.

Nick Cooper, CEO of Ophir, said: "The successful Ngisi drilling results provide critical mass for the aggregation and development of the gas discoveries in Block 4. These will be piped ashore and combined with the Block 1 resources for Tanzania's LNG development."



Current News

Russian Antarctic Vessel Docks in South Africa as Green Groups Protest

Russian Antarctic Vessel Docks in South Africa as Green Groups Protest

Eni Pens $8B Libya Offshore Gas Deal

Eni Pens $8B Libya Offshore Gas Deal

TotalEnergies, Partners to Start Drilling Offshore Lebanon in Q3 2022

TotalEnergies, Partners to Start Drilling Offshore Lebanon in Q3 2022

New Petrobras CEO Says to Drive Energy Shift while Expanding Oil and Gas

New Petrobras CEO Says to Drive Energy Shift while Expanding Oil and Gas

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

Offshore Engineer Magazine