Petrobras Plans Major Investment Cut for Oil and Gas Platforms Decommissioning

Tuesday, December 10, 2024

Brazil's state-run oil firm Petrobras cut $1.1 billion in planned investments in decommissioning oil and gas platforms in its strategic plan for the 2025-2029 period, compared to what was earmarked in its 2024-2028 plan, the company told Reuters.

Petrobras expects to invest $9.9 billion in platform decommissioning through 2029, compared with more than $11 billion previously estimated for the 2024-2028 period.

The plan now is to decommission 10 floating platforms, down from 23 originally. Seven of the platforms are located in Brazil's Campos basin, one in Santos and the other two in the Espirito Santo basin.

The changes to the decommissioning plans were not included in the latest strategic plan material released in November.

The company in a statement on Thursday cited "optimizations of decommissioning activities" for the change without further explanation.

In September, Petrobras CEO Magda Chambriard announced that the company plans to revitalize some of its decommissioned platforms, which could then be used for other projects.

At the time, Chambriard said Petrobras had created a working group to evaluate the revitalization of four platforms.


(Reuters - Reporting by Marta Nogueira; writing by Fabio Teixeira; Editing by Bill Berkrot)

Categories: Industry News Activity South America Decommissioning Oil and Gas

Related Stories

ExxonMobil Reviews Gas Mix at Guyana’s Stabroek Block Amid Expansion Plans

Shell to Push Ahead on Dragon Natural Gas Project After US License Shift

Jumbo Offshore Wraps Up Errea Wittu FPSO Mooring Pre-Lay in Guyana

Current News

Ndungu Full-Field Starts Up Offshore Angola

Norway's 2025 Oil Output Climbs to Highest Level Since 2009

AKOFS Offshore Inks New Vessel Deal with Petrobras

UK Trade Body Challenges Government View on North Sea Gas Decline

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News