BP kickstarts Na Kika

February 24, 2014

The third phase of the Na Kika field in the Gulf of Mexico recently entered production, BP announced.

Phase 3 production started on 19 Feb 2014, with a second well expected to come online 2Q 2014.

Sitting in around 6300ft of water, Na Kika semisubmersible platform is located in Mississippi Canyon Block 474, about 140mi southeast of New Orleans. The Na Kika host facility currently serves eight fields through subsea wells and deepwater tiebacks. More than 100mi. of subsea flowlines were used in the project.

The field extends over seven blocks in Mississippi Canyon. It  has recoverable reserves of 300MMboe, with a peak production rate of around 110,000b/d oil and 500 million Tcf gas.

The platform is operated by BP, which partnered with Royal Dutch Shell (50%). Shell was responsible for the project development, design and fabrication. It also drilled and completed the 12 production wells.

FMC Technologies, which supplied the 12 enhanced vertical 10,000psi subsea trees, subsea distribution system, flowline connector equipment, and jumpers, said that Na Kika is the largest project in the Gulf of Mexico to use Shell’s 4in. by 2in. vertical tree completion system. The wells are in water depths ranging from 5800ft to 7750ft.

Na Kika was BP's first semisubmersible platform, and was the only semisubmersible in the Gulf of Mexico at the time of installation. First oil was achieved through the platform in 2003.

This development is the result of a US$1.5 billion joint venture between the two supermajors, who also partnered in the other major development to come online in the Gulf of Mexico so far in 2014: Mars B, located in about 3000ft of water. In the Mars B venture, Shell is the operator with 71.5% interest. BP holds the remaining 28.5%.

Read further coverage of BP and Shell’s recent activity in the Gulf of Mexico.

BP makes deepwater GOM discovery

BP increases GOM rig count

Mad Dog Phase 2 under development

First oil from Mars B (video)

Giant Olympus starts-up



Current News

Offshore Wind Vessels Get 'Vessel of National Interest' Designation by U.S. MARAD

Offshore Wind Vessels Get 'Vessel of National Interest' Designation by U.S. MARAD

Black Sea Gas Platform Launched Offshore Romania Despite War Risks

Black Sea Gas Platform Launched Offshore Romania Despite War Risks

Express Engineering in 5-year MWD, LWD Supply Deal

Express Engineering in 5-year MWD, LWD Supply Deal

SBM Offshore's Treasurer and IR Head Joins Jadestone Energy as New CFO

SBM Offshore's Treasurer and IR Head Joins Jadestone Energy as New CFO

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News