IEA: Current Oil And Gas Crisis Exceeds Past Shocks Combined

Tuesday, April 7, 2026

The current oil and gas crisis triggered by the blockade of the Strait of Hormuz is "more serious than the ones in 1973, 1979 and 2022 together", Fatih Birol, the head of the International Energy Agency (IEA), told Le Figaro newspaper.

"The world has never experienced a disruption to energy supply of such magnitude," he said in an interview with the French newspaper released in its Tuesday edition.

He said the European countries, as well Japan, Australia and others will suffer, but the countries most at risk were developing nations which will suffer from higher oil and gas prices, higher food prices and a general acceleration of inflation.

The IEA member countries agreed last month to release part of their strategic reserves. Some of this had already been released and the process continues, said Birol.

In reaction to the strikes by Israel and the U.S., Iran has almost entirely blocked the traffic in the Strait of Hormuz, through which about 20% of world oil and gas regularly flows, creating a surge in energy prices.


(Reuters - Reporting by Inti Landauro; Editing by Sudip Kar-Gupta)

Categories: Offshore Middle East Industry News Activity Europe Asia North America Africa Oil and Gas War Strait of Hormuz

Related Stories

QatarEnergy, ExxonMobil Explore Cyprus Gas Exports via Egypt’s Infrastructure

Wood Secures Subsea Design Scope on QatarEnergy’s Bul Hanine Redevelopment

Oil Prices Ease as US Holds Off Renewed Strikes Against Iran

Current News

IKM Aconan to Deliver Drilling, Well Services for Vår Energi

Unity Wins North Sea Decom Contracts, Expands Overseas

Denmark Receives Offshore Wind Bids as Tender Scheme Rebounds

Borr Drilling’s First Quarter Profit Takes Hit as Odin Rig Start-Up Lags

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News