Brazil's President Hints at Potential Replacement of Petrobras CEO

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

There is a possibility of replacing Petrobras' chief executive, Brazil's President Jair Bolsonaro said on Wednesday, adding further pressure to the state-run oil company's pricing policy.

In an interview with regional TV channel, Bolsonaro said the possibility of replacing Joaquim Silva e Luna as Petrobras CEO exists, although he added "everyone in the government can be replaced if they are not doing their job at a satisfactory level."

"So it doesn't mean that they will be replaced or that they won't be replaced," said Bolsonaro.

On Monday, Luna, a retired army general, said he would not leave the company despite facing criticism from Bolsonaro and others over a fuel price hike announced last week.

Bolsonaro appointed him to the job last year after his predecessor, Roberto Castello Branco, was fired due to a disagreement with the president over the company's pricing policy.

Shares in Petrobras fell as much as 2.3% following Bolsonaro's statement, but were trading 1% down in late afternoon trading. The Bovespa stock Index rose 1.5%.

Petrobras, formally known as Petroleo Brasileiro SA, did not respond to a Reuters request to comment.


(Reuters - Reporting by Pedro Fonseca and Alexandre Caverni; Writing by Peter Frontini in Sao Paulo; Editing by Chris Reese and Aurora Ellis)

Categories: Industry News South America People & Company News

Related Stories

Shell to Push Ahead on Dragon Natural Gas Project After US License Shift

TVO Adds to Project Management Team

US Issues License to Support Oil and Gas Exploration in Venezuela

Current News

Ndungu Full-Field Starts Up Offshore Angola

Norway's 2025 Oil Output Climbs to Highest Level Since 2009

AKOFS Offshore Inks New Vessel Deal with Petrobras

UK Trade Body Challenges Government View on North Sea Gas Decline

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News