Regulator Lays Charges Over 2018 Canada Oil Spill

By Rod Nickel
Tuesday, October 19, 2021

The Canada-Newfoundland Offshore Petroleum Board said on Tuesday that it has laid three charges following a 2018 oil spill off Canada's Atlantic Coast.

The board said it laid the charges against Husky Oil Operations Limited for the spill in the White Rose Field. Cenovus Energy has since then acquired Husky.

A leaking flowline from the White Rose Field to the SeaRose floating production, storage and offloading unit spilled 250 cubic meters (1,572 barrels) of oil in November, 2018, temporarily shutting down all crude production in the waters of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Last month, Cenovus struck a deal with Suncor Energy to decrease its stake in White Rose and raise Suncor's ownership, depending on the restart of a related expansion project.

Lesley Rideout, spokesperson for the board, could not immediately confirm whether both companies face the charges.

Cenovus and Suncor spokespersons could not be immediately reached. The first provincial court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 23 in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.


(Reporting by Rod Nickel; editing by Jonathan Oatis and Chris Reese)

Categories: Legal Offshore FPSO Floating Production Oil Spill

Related Stories

AKOFS Offshore Inks New Vessel Deal with Petrobras

Jan De Nul’s Fleeming Jenkin CLV to Get Dedicated Training Simulator

Transocean-Valaris Tie-Up to Create $17B Offshore Drilling Major with 73 Rigs

Current News

Norway's 2025 Oil Output Climbs to Highest Level Since 2009

AKOFS Offshore Inks New Vessel Deal with Petrobras

UK Trade Body Challenges Government View on North Sea Gas Decline

Inpex Secures Environmental Approval for Indonesia’s Abadi LNG Project

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News