Exxon Expects $200M in Job Cuts Charges

Jennifer Hiller
Thursday, May 6, 2021

Exxon Mobil Corp expects up to $200 million in charges this year related to job cuts in an era of cost savings, according to a regulatory filing.

The biggest U.S. oil producer has slashed costs, delayed projects and said it could trim an estimated 14,000 employees globally, or 15%, including contractors. Exxon reported its first annual loss last year as the COVID-19 pandemic battered energy demand.

The company will spend more this year than in 2020 as workers exit, according to the filing.

Total cash outflows would be between $400 million and $600 million, versus $47 million last year, according to the filing. Exxon had set aside some money last year toward the costs.

The severance cost estimate does not include job cuts related to changes in the company's portfolio, it said.

Reductions should be "substantially complete" by year-end, including voluntary and involuntary exits and the use of fewer in contractors, Exxon said.

In the first quarter the company had before-tax charges of $39 million mostly from employee separation costs in Singapore and Europe.

Cost savings from its global staffing review are likely to range between $1 billion and $2 billion per year versus 2019 levels, according to Wednesday's filing. 

(Reporting by Jennifer Hiller; Editing by Leslie Adler and David Gregorio)

Categories: Jobs North America People & Companies

Related Stories

Greener Oil or Green Industry? Gridlock Puts Norway in a Bind

VIDEO: Friede & Goldman Launches Offshore Wind Feeder Concept

BP Starts Production from Manuel Deepwater Project in U.S. Gulf of Mexico

Current News

Safety Boost: 4Subsea to Monitor Var Energi's Drilling Ops at Balder

Havyard Delivers Another Offshore Wind Service Vessel to Esvagt

Eco Wave Power Installs Spotter Buoy in Portugal

Huge Interest in Norwegian Offshore Wind, Minister Says

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News