BP asked to resubmit Bight plan

Audrey Raj
Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Australia's National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority (NOPSEMA) told oil major BP to modify and resubmit its environment plan for exploration drilling in the Great Australian Bight (GAB). 

NOPSEMA said if BP accepts what it described as "an opportunity," the modified plan would be expected to be resubmitted by 15 July, at which time NOPSEMA would restart the assessment.

NOPSEMA's move follows the rejection of BP’s initial environment plan in November last year, with the regulator saying that the plan didn't meet the criteria for acceptance under the environment regulations.

BP plans to drill four exploration wells in the GAB in 1000-2500m water depth within the Ceduna 3D seismic survey area. The proposed drilling would be between 2016-17, with each well taking 45-170 days.

Diamond Offshore’s Ocean Great White semisubmersible mobile offshore drilling unit.

Categories: Exploration Drilling

Related Stories

Weatherford Wins Deepwater Completions Contract off Nigeria

Aker BP Cleared to Drill Wildcat Well in North Sea

PV Drilling Secures Jack-Up Rig Deal from Zarubezhneft off Vietnam

Current News

Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners Remains Eager to Invest in Italian Offshore Wind

Sercel Nodal Technology Chosen by OGDC for Wireless Seismic Acquisition Project

Weatherford Wins Deepwater Completions Contract off Nigeria

QatarEnergy, ExxonMobil Explore Cyprus Gas Exports via Egypt’s Infrastructure

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News