BG strikes more gas offshore Tanzania

July 29, 2013

BG Group has made another gas discovery on its latest exploration well offshore Tanzania, adding to the potential for LNG development in the country. 

The Mkizi-1 well in Block 1, was drilled by the Deepsea Metro I drillship in 1301m deep water, between the existing Mzia and Jodari discoveries. 

The announcement follow's the Ngisi-1 well discovery and an upgrade on the Chewa gas field estimates, both on Block 4, offshore Tanzania, earlier in July.  

BG Group owns 60% equity and is operator on Blocks 1, 3 and 4, with partner Ophir Energy holding the remaining 40%. 

Ophir said the Mkizi-1 well found natural gas in three reservoir intervals, within a Tertiary-aged stacked channel complex. 

Total net pay was 33m and reservoir quality was high, with all three intervals showing excellent porosities and permeabilities, the company said. 

Estimates for the mean recoverable resource from the discovery are in-line with Ophir’s pre-drill expectations of 0.6 TCF, it added.  

The Deepsea Metro I will now move on to drill two appraisal wells, including a drill stem test (DST), on the Pweza discovery in Block 4.

This will be the first DST on a number of Block 4 discoveries.

Read about Tanzania's ongoing offshore deepwater explorationhttp://oedigital.com/component/k2/item/3492-tanzanian-investment-to-continue



Current News

Brazil Oil Auction Flop to Dent Govt Revenues

Brazil Oil Auction Flop to Dent Govt Revenues

Bit Effects off Norway

Bit Effects off Norway

CGG Grows Middle East Footprint

CGG Grows Middle East Footprint

ConocoPhillips Makes Discovery Near Balder

ConocoPhillips Makes Discovery Near Balder

Polarcus Signs MOU with ARGAS

Polarcus Signs MOU with ARGAS

Injazat, Lamprell Partner on Digitization

Injazat, Lamprell Partner on Digitization

N-KOM Completes Bul Hanine Fabrication

N-KOM Completes Bul Hanine Fabrication

Magazine

Offshore Engineer (Sep/Oct 2019)

This issue of Offshore Engineer is dedicated to Big Data and Digitalization

Archive
Subscribe

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

OE Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week