Petronas Irish probe tanks

August 14, 2015

Petronas subsidiary PSE Seven Heads' Midleton well offshore Ireland has failed to discover commercial quantities of gas, according to partner Landsdowne Oil & Gas. 

PSE Seven Heads, a subsidiary of Petronas' PSE Kinsale Energy reached target depth in the well, in the Celtic Sea, at 3393ft true vertical depth below sea level. Good quality reservoirs were encountered in the Greensand and Upper Wealden formations of the Lower Cretaceous.

Some gas was present in the Greensand but the volumes were not considered commercial and the Upper Wealden was water wet. The well will be plugged and abandoned.

The well was drilled using Diamond Offshore Drilling's Ocean Guardian semisubmersible in SEL 4/07, which covers part-blocks 49/11, 49/12, 49/17 and 49/18, immediately southeast of the Kinsale Head gas field, in the Celtic Sea offshore southeast Ireland.

Kinsale Energy holds 80% interest in the license with Lansdowne holding the remaining 20%. 

The Midleton prospect, about 20km northeast of the Kinsale Head field, had been estimated to contain 330 Bcf gas initially in place, according to Landsdowne, whose share price has tanked since the new was announced..

Kinsale Energy has been production natural gas from its facilities off the Old Head of Kinsale since 1978. The company was acquired by Petronas in April 2009. Kinsale Energy also operates Kinsale Head, Ballycotton and Seven Heads gas fields in the Celtic Sea and a natural gas storage field (Southwest Kinsale).  

Categories: Drilling Exploration


Current News

Polarcus Wins 4D Job in Brazil

Polarcus Wins 4D Job in Brazil

Comment: Equinor’s New E&P El Dorado

Comment: Equinor’s New E&P El Dorado

Petrofac Lines Up North Sea Engineering Work

Petrofac Lines Up North Sea Engineering Work

Geoscience Packages Reveal APAC Prospectivity

Geoscience Packages Reveal APAC Prospectivity

Chevron Hits Go on Anchor

Chevron Hits Go on Anchor

Aker Solutions, Subsea 7 Win Ærfugl Subsea Scope

Aker Solutions, Subsea 7 Win Ærfugl Subsea Scope

Liberia Lines Up 2020 Offshore Licence Round

Liberia Lines Up 2020 Offshore Licence Round

Magazine

Offshore Engineer (Sep/Oct 2019)

This issue of Offshore Engineer is dedicated to Big Data and Digitalization

Archive
Subscribe

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

OE Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week