Providence moves on after losing court appeal

OE Staff
Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Irish independent explorer Providence Resources has lost a Supreme Court application to appeal a decision which meant it was unable to recoup costs from a drilling campaign in 2011/12. 

Providence wanted to appeal a UK Court of Appeal decision made earlier this year over a disagreement with Transocean's UK subsidiary over use of the semisubmersible drilling rig, Arctic III, on the Barryroe oilfield offshore Ireland.  

The dispute arose as a result of the failure of equipment on the rig whilst drilling the Barryroe appraisal well, leading to extensive delay and cost over-run, said partner Lansdowne Oil & Gas. 

Providence CEO Tony O’Reilly said today: “With this final legal matter now decided, litigation between the parties is ended.  With this matter behind us, we will continue to develop our very significant portfolio of assets offshore Ireland, with a particular focus on the farm-out processes for Barryroe and Spanish Point as well as our preparations for the planned drilling of Druid in 2017.”

Categories: Europe

Related Stories

Norway's 2025 Oil Output Climbs to Highest Level Since 2009

EEW, CS Wind Deliver First Offshore Wind Monopiles for Vattenfall’s Nordlicht I

MOL’s Geoinform, Baker Hughes Team Up for Oil and Gas Tech

Current News

Ndungu Full-Field Starts Up Offshore Angola

Norway's 2025 Oil Output Climbs to Highest Level Since 2009

AKOFS Offshore Inks New Vessel Deal with Petrobras

UK Trade Body Challenges Government View on North Sea Gas Decline

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News