Japan's INPEX has submitted a revised development plan for the Abadi LNG project offshore Indonesia.
Inpex says greater volumes of gas than thought have been confirmed, leading to a larger floating liquefied natural gas (FLNG) proposal now being developed.
Inpex had been considering an FLNG plant with 2.5 million tons annual processing capacity. Now, that has been increased to 7.5 million tons.
The revised plan has been submitted to the Indonesian Special Task Force for Upstream Oil and Gas Business Activities (SKK Migas)
The Abadi gas field in the Masela Block, Arafura Sea, and being developed with partner Shell.
The initial plan had been approved by the Indonesian government in 2010. Between November 2012 and November 2014, INPEX conducted front-end engineering and design (FEED) works for both subsea, umbilical, riser and flowlines and the FLNG plant based on POD-1.
Based on evaluations of three appraisal wells drilled between June 2013 and April 2014 (the drilling campaign), INPEX confirmed the presence of a greater volume of Abadi gas reserves, which was certified by Indonesian authorities.
In parallel with subsurface evaluations after the drilling campaign, INPEX also conducted studies to assess the optimal development scenario taking into account the updated Abadi gas reserves. These studies included a large scale FLNG technology study (PreFEED) where INPEX confirmed the technical developments and improvements in larger scale FLNG made in recent years.
Taking these findings into account, INPEX conducted a comprehensive review of POD-1 including technical and economic evaluations. As a result, the company concluded that development by a 7.5 million ton-class FLNG is the optimal solution to replace the initially planned development in stages, and has submitted the Revised POD to Indonesian government authorities accordingly.
INPEX will now undertake the required procedures in a timely manner to obtain the Indonesian government’s approval for the Revised POD, and propel the project forward in partnership with Shell Upstream Overseas Services with the aim of launching FEED work for the development of the Abadi gas field.
The Masela Block has a surface area of about 3221sq km and is located about 150km offshore Saumlaki in Maluku Province.
Water depth is about 400-800m. INPEX Masela acquired the block in 1998, and discovered the Abadi gas field in 2000. INPEX Masela currently holds a 65% participating interest, with the remaining 35% held by Shell.
INPEX Masela expects the Abadi gas field to contain sufficient reserves to support an annual production of 7.5 million tons of LNG over a period of more than 20 years, as well as 24,000 bbl/d condensate. The Masela Block operated by INPEX is based on production sharing contract under the supervision and control of SKK Migas.