Aker BP Gearing Up for North Sea Appraisal Well Spud

January 8, 2020

Deepsea Nordkapp drilling rig / Image by Odfjell Drilling
Deepsea Nordkapp drilling rig / Image by Odfjell Drilling

Aker BP has received permission to drill an appraisal well in the North Sea offshore Norway.

The appraisal well 25/2-22 S will be drilled to delineate the size of the Liatårnet discovery which was proven in the production license 442 in 2019.

Aker BP will use the recently delivered Deepsea Nordkapp semi-submersible drilling rig to drill the appraisal well. The rig is owned by the Norwegian offshore drilling firm Odfjell Drilling.

Aker BP operates the production license and has a 90.26 percent interest. Aker BP's partner in the offshore block is Polish LOTOS, owning the remaining 9.74 percent stake.

This is the 9th exploration well to be drilled in the license awarded in 2007. Water depth at the well location is 112 meters.

Drilling is expected to begin in mid-January 2020 and is expected to take 36 days to complete.



Current News

Russia's Control of Sakhalin Project Could Pose Upside Risk to LNG Prices

Russia's Control of Sakhalin Project Could Pose Upside Risk to LNG Prices

Cadeler Secures $192,3M Loan to Fund New Offshore Wind Vessels

Cadeler Secures $192,3M Loan to Fund New Offshore Wind Vessels

Aker BP Takes Over Lundin Energy's Oil and Gas Business

Aker BP Takes Over Lundin Energy's Oil and Gas Business

Deirdre Michie to Step Down as Offshore Energies UK CEO

Deirdre Michie to Step Down as Offshore Energies UK CEO

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

Offshore Engineer Magazine