Twice lucky for Woodside offshore Myanmar

Australia's Woodside Energy has announced a second gas discovery offshore Myanmar just weeks after announcing its first in the newly opened country.

Following the discovery, the firm is set to shoot more seismic over its acreage offshore Myanmar, which totals 20% of its global exploration acreage, starting in March. 

The Thalin-1A exploration well, in 836m water depth in Block AD-7 in the Rakhine Basin, intersected 64m gross gas column with about 62m of net gas pay interpreted in the primary target interval.

Block AD-7 is at the opposite end of the Rakhine Basin, in the Bay of Bengal, to Woodside's first exploration success, the Shwe Yee Htun-1 well, in Block A8. Shwe Yee Htun-1 in Block A-6 intersected a 129m gross gas column with about 15m net pay.

Woodside CEO Peter Coleman said the two discoveries at opposite ends of the Rakhine Basin was a great result, not least as Woodside it the largest acreage holder in the Rakhine Basin.

“These results are very encouraging for future exploration and appraisal activity, given the significant footprint we have in Myanmar,” he said.

Coleman said Thalin-1A had successfully proved a working petroleum system and a new play type different to that encountered at Shwe Yee Htun-1. 

“These discoveries provide evidence of the high quality of offshore Myanmar as an exploration focus area,” he said.

Woodside is among a string of majors who entered Myanmar following its emergence from sanction driven isolation. The government awarded 20 offshore blocks to 13 international and nine local companies in 2013, with Total, Ophir Energy, Chevron, Petronas, PTTEP, BG Group, Shell and Eni among the winners. Woodside and BG Group have been acquiring 3D seismic using the Ramform Titan and Ramform Sovereign seismic vessels. 

Thalin-1A is in the northern part of the Rakhine Basin, about 60km west of the Daewoo-operated producing Shwe field, which has onshore gas plant and pipeline gas export facilities.

The well reached a total depth of 3034m, referenced from the rig rotary table. Following drilling, wireline logging was conducted and confirmed the presence of a gas column through pressure measurements and gas sampling.

An additional 1200sq km of 3D seismic data is set to be acquired over an extension to Woodside's acreage, which takes it up to the Myanmar maritime border. 

Woodside has interests in six block in the Rakhine basin covering a total 47,000sq km. 

Woodside Energy operates Block Ad-7 with 40% and is operator with respect to deepwater drilling. Daewoo International Corporation has the remaining 60% interest and is operator for all other operations. 

Read more

Myanmar pays off for Woodside

BG Group, Woodside start Myanmar seismic

Myanmar announces offshore winners

Current News

ABS to Class Two New Seatrium FPSOs for Petrobras

ABS to Class Two New Seatrium

Solstad Offshore Scoops $240M in Contracts with Petrobras

Solstad Offshore Scoops $240M

New JV Starts Decom Ops for OpenHydro’s Tidal Energy Test Platform Off Orkney

New JV Starts Decom Ops for Op

Opsealog Expands Fleet Digitalization Contract with CLV Operator

Opsealog Expands Fleet Digital

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

Offshore Engineer Magazine