PetroNor E&P Withdraws from Gambian Offshore Block after License Expiry

Wednesday, December 3, 2025

PetroNor E&P has set out plans to withdraw from its exploration license for Block A4 offshore Gambia after the initial exploration phase expired in mid-November.

The company said it had been in discussions with the Gambian government on future options for the license following the expiry of the initial term, and has now confirmed it will relinquish its rights to the block.

“The company would like to thank the Ministry of Petroleum and Energy, the Petroleum Commission, and its partner, GNPC, for their support and close collaboration over the past years of the licence term,” PetroNor E&P said.

Block A4, reinstated to PetroNor in the second half of 2020, lies within the same play trend as Senegal’s offshore basins and the Sangomar field, which is expected to extend southward into Gambian waters.

PetroNor held a 90% interest, with the remaining 10% owned by the Government of Gambia.

The company earlier noted in its third-quarter results that the initial exploration phase had ended and that no further commitments were in place beyond discussions on potential next steps.

Categories: Industry News Activity Africa Oil and Gas

Related Stories

Tullow Acquires Ghana’s TEN FPSO, Secures Long-Term License Extension

TGS Embarks on Multi-Client 2D Survey off Angola

Egypt Instructs International Oil Companies to Double Production by 2030

Current News

Ndungu Full-Field Starts Up Offshore Angola

Norway's 2025 Oil Output Climbs to Highest Level Since 2009

AKOFS Offshore Inks New Vessel Deal with Petrobras

UK Trade Body Challenges Government View on North Sea Gas Decline

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News