Petronas to Drill Two More Wells in Suriname

Thursday, November 9, 2023

Malaysian oil company Petronas is planning to drill at least two additional wells offshore Suriname next year to gather more data for its field plans before making a final investment decision for its area, Block 52, state firm Staatsolie said on Thursday.

Top Petronas executives made a presentation to Surinamese President Chan Santokhi. The head of state oil company Staatsolie, Annand Jagesar, was present at the meeting in Paramaribo.

Earlier this month, Petronas announced a discovery of several oil-bearing layers in the exploration well Roystonea-1 off Suriname, which is part of the Block 52 exploration area, where a Petronas-Exxon Mobil joint venture in 2020 found natural gas.

Petronas Chief Operating Officer Adnan Zainal Abidin said the company is considering the possibility of producing liquefied natural gas from floating facilities in Suriname, according to Staatsolie's statement.

Jagesar said that new negotiations are now needed because of gas discoveries recently made by the Malaysian firm. "With gas discoveries, conditions are renegotiated with the partner, and we are doing that now," he said in the statement.


(Reuters - Reporting by Ank Kuipers; Writing by Marianna Parraga; Editing by Sandra Maler)

Categories: Drilling Activity South America Asia Natural Gas

Related Stories

Denmark Receives Offshore Wind Bids as Tender Scheme Rebounds

BW Energy Greenlights Gabon, Brazil Oil and Gas Projects

Velesto Secures Malaysia Drilling Deal with Hibiscus

Current News

IKM Aconan to Deliver Drilling, Well Services for Vår Energi

Unity Wins North Sea Decom Contracts, Expands Overseas

Denmark Receives Offshore Wind Bids as Tender Scheme Rebounds

Borr Drilling’s First Quarter Profit Takes Hit as Odin Rig Start-Up Lags

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News