Cyprus Inks Deal for Offshore Gas Concession

Thursday, November 7, 2019

Cyprus signed a 25-year concession on Thursday with a three-member consortium for the exploitation of a gas reservoir south-east of the island first discovered in 2011.

The contract with Noble Energy, Shell and Delek is the first commercial exploitation licence signed by the Mediterranean island. The Aphrodite field is thought to hold an estimated 4.1 trillion cubic feet (tcf) of gas.

Cypriot authorities have said natural gas will start being extracted in 2025, with estimated earnings of 9.3 billion euros ($10.29 billion) over an 18-year period.

"The plan includes the implementation of what we consider the best possible option, transferring gas through an subsea pipeline to Idku in Egypt from where LNG will be exported to Europe and international markets," Cypriot energy minister Yiorgos Lakkotrypis said in a statement.

In September last year Egypt and Cyprus signed an agreement to build an undersea natural gas pipeline from the Aphrodite field to a liquefaction plant in Egypt.


($1 = 0.9036 euros)

(Reporting By Michele Kambas. Editing by Jane Merriman)

Categories: Contracts Energy Europe Natural Gas Regulations

Related Stories

Norway Approves Request to Delay Offshore Wind Farm License Application

Equinor to Supply Oil from Johan Sverdrup to ORLEN

Tech File: MacGregor LCO₂ Bow Transfer System

Current News

Norway Approves Request to Delay Offshore Wind Farm License Application

TenneT Completes Drilling, Installation of Protective Conduits for Wind Farms

Alexandre de Gusmão FPSO Reaches Peak Production

Transocean Awarded $300 Million Contract for Ultra-Deepwater Drillship

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News