Exxon, COP drop Liberia block

OE Staff
Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Canadian Overseas Petroleum says it and its partner ExxonMobil on block LB-13, offshore Liberia, West Africa, are to relinquish the block. 

The two have elected not to enter into third exploration period and surrendered their rights to the LB-13 license, resulting in the expiration of the LB-13 production sharing contract on 25 September. 

Last year, ExxonMobil's deepwater Mesurado-1 exploration well on block LB-13 failed to find hydrocarbons. The well was Exxon's first in the country and was drilled 50mi offshore Liberia in 2500m water depth, using Seadrill's West Saturn drillship. 

The well, targeting oil in a sequence of Late Cretaceous Santonian aged sands, intersected 145m (475ft) of net sand of which 118m (387ft) was deemed to be reservoir quality. But, no hydrocarbons were indicated by the logging while drilling operations performed across the targeted intervals. 

COP said the relinquishment will result in an impairment of its exploration and evaluation assets amounting to  US$15.6 million.

 
Categories: Drilling Africa Exploration

Related Stories

Weatherford Wins Deepwater Completions Contract off Nigeria

Oil Prices Rise as Iran Talks Stall and Inventories Shrink

BW Energy Greenlights Gabon, Brazil Oil and Gas Projects

Current News

Unity Wins North Sea Decom Contracts, Expands Overseas

Denmark Receives Offshore Wind Bids as Tender Scheme Rebounds

Borr Drilling’s First Quarter Profit Takes Hit as Odin Rig Start-Up Lags

Archer Bolsters P&A Portfolio with isol8 Acquisition

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News