Petronas inks rig for Irish drilling

June 22, 2015

Petronas subsidiary PSE Seven Heads has agreed a contract to drill on the Midleton prospect offshore Ireland starting in August, according to partner Lansdowne Oil & Gas.

PSE Seven Heads, a subsidiary of Petronas' PSE Kinsale Energy will use Diamond Offshore Drilling's Ocean Guardian semisubmersible drilling rig to drill the well, in SEL 4/07, which covers part-blocks 49/11, 49/12, 49/17 and 49/18, immediately southeast of the Kinsale Head gas field, in the Celtic Sea offshore southeast Ireland.

The Midleton prospect, about 20km northeast of the Kinsale Head field, has been estimated to contain 330 Bcf gas initially in place, according to Landsdowne.

The well site survey has been completed over the Midleton location using the survey vessel Polar Surveyor.

Kinsale Energy holds an 80% interest in SEL 4/07, with Lansdowne holding the remaining 20%. Through the farm-in agreement previously announced, Kinsale Energy, formerley Marathon Oil Ireland, will fund 100% of the costs of drilling a well (including the site survey work) on the Midleton prospect. Kinsale Energy is continuing work on well planning and further announcements will be made in due course.

Lansdowne CEO Steve Boldy said: "We are pleased with the rapid progress Kinsale Energy has made since taking over as operator and look forward to the drilling of the Midleton well later this year."

Kinsale Energy has been productin natural gas from its facilities off the Old Head of Kinsale since 1978. The company was acquired by Petronas in April 2009. Kinsale Energy also operates Kinsale Head, Ballycotton and Seven Heads gas fields in the Celtic Sea and a natural gas storage field (Southwest Kinsale).  

Categories: Rigs Drilling


Current News

UK-Denmark Subsea Power Cable Gig Awarded

UK-Denmark Subsea Power Cable  Gig Awarded

Lukoil Hits Milestone at Caspian Offshore

Lukoil Hits Milestone at Caspian Offshore

EM&I Bags Japanese FPSO Operator Contract

EM&I Bags Japanese FPSO Operator Contract

LDA Wins French Offshore Wind Work

LDA Wins French Offshore Wind Work

TechnipFMC Wins Arctic LNG 2 EPC Gig

TechnipFMC Wins Arctic LNG 2 EPC Gig

Talon Grows North Sea Portfolio

Talon Grows North Sea Portfolio

Trump Camp Split on Chevron's Venezuela License

Trump Camp Split on Chevron's Venezuela License

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

OE Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week