Cobalt hits condensate, gas off Angola

May 4, 2016

Cobalt International has struck its sixth pre-salt discovery offshore Angola.

The firm made a "significant condensate and gas" discovery on the Zalophus #1 pre-salt exploration well in Block 20 offshore Angola.

It is the firm's third discovery on Block 20. The Petroserv Catarina semisubmersible drilling rig, which drilled the Zalophus well, is now completing drilling operations on the Golfinho #1 pre-salt exploration well - Cobalt’s final exploration well commitment on Block 20.

Early analysis of the Golfinho well results indicates potential for another large mound feature with Cameia-like fluid and reservoir properties, says Cobalt.

"When confirmed, Golfinho will be another discovery in a remarkable run of exploration success for Cobalt in Angola," says the firm.

Until the closing of the Angola transaction, which will see Sonangol take over Cobalt's entire share of Blocks 20 and 21, offshore Angola, Cobalt is the operator in partnership with Sonangol Pesquisa e Produção (30%) and BP (30%).

Gulf of Mexico

Cobalt has announced that it completed additional sidetrack appraisal drilling operations at North Platte in deep water US Gulf of Mexico. The sidetrack appraisal well was successful and encountered approximately 500ft of net oil pay in what Cobalt says appears to be excellent reservoir quality rock.

"The fluid, core and pressure samples taken in the sidetrack well indicate that the rock and reservoir properties are the best that Cobalt has encountered in the Inboard Lower Tertiary trend with respect to porosity and permeability."

Cobalt plans to conduct further appraisal drilling at North Platte in the second half of 2016. Cobalt, as operator, owns a 60% working interest in North Platte and Total owns the remaining 40% working interest.

Following the sidetrack appraisal operations at North Platte, Cobalt started drilling operations on the Goodfellow #1 exploration well, which will target Inboard Lower Tertiary horizons. The Goodfellow prospect is a 3-way closure and is about 18mi southwest of the Shenandoah discovery in the Walker Ridge area.

Results from the Goodfellow #1 exploration well are expected in 2H 2016. Cobalt, as operator, owns a 72.5% working interest in Goodfellow and Total owns the remaining 27.5% working interest.

Drilling operations continue on the Anchor #3 appraisal well, which is designed to further delineate the resource potential of the Anchor field as well as assess reservoir continuity, structure, and oil-water contacts.

Core, pressure, and fluid samples are expected to be obtained from the well to facilitate the continued evaluation of Anchor. Results from the Anchor #3 appraisal well are expected in 2H 2016. Cobalt owns a 20% non-operated working interest in Anchor.

Appraisal operations also continued at Shenandoah where drilling operations have started on the Shenandoah #5 appraisal well. This well is designed to further test Shenandoah’s resource potential and commerciality. Results from the Shenandoah #5 appraisal well are expected in 2H 2016. Cobalt owns a 20% non-operated working interest in Shenandoah.

Categories: Drilling Exploration


Current News

An Unusual Abandonment

An Unusual Abandonment

Finding New P&A Alternatives

Finding New P&A Alternatives

Industry Shares North Sea Data with Scientists

Industry Shares North Sea Data with Scientists

SBM Secures Liza Unity Financing

SBM Secures Liza Unity Financing

How Brazil's $26 Bln TOR Auction Works

How Brazil's $26 Bln TOR Auction Works

Greater Castberg Survey Wraps Up

Greater Castberg Survey Wraps Up

Wood Names Cox as Americas CEO

Wood Names Cox as Americas CEO

Magazine

Offshore Engineer (Sep/Oct 2019)

This issue of Offshore Engineer is dedicated to Big Data and Digitalization

Archive
Subscribe

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

OE Digital E-News is the subsea industry's largest circulation and most authoritative ENews Service, delivered to your Email three times per week