Tanzanian LNG site select in 2H

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Independent exploration firm Ophir Energy has said the preferred site for Tanzania’s first multi-train LNG facility could be announced later this year.

The firm, a partner with operator BG Group on Blocks 1, 3 and 4, offshore Tanzania, east Africa, said work selecting a site was nearing completion.

Discussions have been held with the Tanzanian government and state-oil firm Tanzania Petroleum Development Corp, as well as neighboring Block 2 co-venturers—Statoil and ExxonMobil—who would be involved in jointly developing an LNG facility.

This is anticipated will lead to an announcement of a preferred site during 2H, enabling a site acquisition process to start, said Ophir. BG Group is operator and 60% equity holder on the block, with Ophir holding the remaining 40%.

Announcing its 1H results, Ophir said exploration activity offshore Tanzania had seen 3Tcf gross recoverable resource added to the BG-Ophir partnership’s position in Tanzania, covering Blocks 1, 3 and 4, to 15Tcf in total.

Outlining its drilling program, it said the Deepsea Metro I drillship is due to drill two appraisal wells, including a drill stem test (DST), on the Pweza discovery in Block 4.

This will be the first DST on the series of Block 4 discoveries. Discussions are ongoing with BG Group on the program beyond that. 

Read more on OEDigital: Tanzanian investment to continue - http://oedigital.com/component/k2/item/3492-tanzanian-investment-to-continue

Categories: Natural Gas Africa LNG

Related Stories

TotalEnergies Spuds 'High-impact' Venus-1X Well Offshore Namibia

Green Group to Challenge Approval for Woodside's Pluto LNG project

Greece Teams up with Egypt on Gas Supply, Infrastructure

Current News

Floating WInd Tech: TetraSpar Demonstrator Starts Operation Off Norway

Report: Halliburton Offers to Buy Exxon's Stake in Iraq's West Qurna 1 Oilfield

Ørsted Reaches FID on Two German Offshore Wind Farm Projects

UAE's ADNOC to Invest $127B in 2022-26 as Oil, Gas Reserves Rise

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News