US DOJ Closes Eni Investigations

Published

Eni CEO Claudio Descalzi (Photo: Eni)
Eni CEO Claudio Descalzi (Photo: Eni)

The U.S. Justice Department has closed its investigations into alleged corruption by oil major Eni in Nigeria and Algeria without taking any action, the Italian energy group said on Tuesday.

Eni, the biggest foreign oil and gas producer in Africa, is currently on trial in Milan on graft allegations revolving round the acquisition of a giant Nigerian oilfield in 2011.

In that case Eni and peer Royal Dutch Shell are accused of buying the OPL 245 offshore field for about $1.3 billion in a deal that spawned one of the industry’s largest graft scandals.

Milan prosecutors allege that about $1.1 billion of the total was siphoned off to pay politicians, businessmen and middlemen.

Eni and Shell have denied any wrongdoing.

"Today's decision by the DOJ confirms the findings of independent advisors, who conducted investigations into the claims... which also found no illegal activity," Eni said.

It said it was confident the allegations leveled at it by prosecutors in the Milan court case would be found groundless.

Eni had also been involved in a long-running corruption case involving its previously 43%-owned unit Saipem over alleged bribes in Algeria paid to win contracts.

A Milan court acquitted Eni last year.


(Reporting by Stephen Jewkes; editing by Emelia Sithole-Matarise)

Current News

Ndungu Full-Field Starts Up Offshore Angola

Ndungu Full-Field Starts Up Of

Norway's 2025 Oil Output Climbs to Highest Level Since 2009

Norway's 2025 Oil Output Climb

AKOFS Offshore Inks New Vessel Deal with Petrobras

AKOFS Offshore Inks New Vessel

UK Trade Body Challenges Government View on North Sea Gas Decline

UK Trade Body Challenges Gover

Subscribe for OE Digital E‑News

 
Offshore Engineer Magazine